What industry will your final project involve? IT – Business Process Outsourcing (BPO)
2. What foreign culture will your final report discuss? Bangalore India
3. What are the primary reasons that you are recommending doing business with or within this foreign culture? Available resources/high tech skills and labor costs
4. What are the primary obstacles you anticipate to conducting business in this foreign culture? To be addressed in Report
Cross-Cultural Training for Global Business
You have been tasked by either your workplace or a government contractor (you select a company) to provide their business executives with a report detailing key insights into conducting business in a specific country (you choose the country). You may write a REPORT to a primary audience of senior level decision makers as well as a secondary audience of middle management employees who will be conducting business in the country of your choice.
Become familiar with a specific country/culture through INTERVIEWS (if at all possible) and RESEARCH.
Based on your interviews and research, create a report summarizing how to perform business in the culture you selected.
Here are a few ideas to begin researching from your selected culture. You do not need to include each topic. Again – think about your audience. What will be the best way to present this information to your audience?
Key customs and courtesies necessary for social and business interaction
- Gestures that might be offensive
- Appropriate dress – colors that show respect, mourning, love, joy
- Interpersonal Communication style – attitudes towards conflict
- Eating customs and favorite foods
- Formal Meetings of Men and Women
- Punctuality – different approaches to deadlines and completing tasks
- Collective or Individualist society
- Decision-making styles
- Attitudes towards self-disclosure
- Approaches to knowing
Attitudes and Values, Religion
- Political aspects
- Religious aspects: prohibited behaviors, foods? tolerance – friction between religious groups
- Important cultural values – work ethic – value put on money, family
- What do they respect, value? Competitiveness or Cooperative behaviors
- Politeness versus Factual Honesty
- Major products and services
- Media entertainment
You will cite sources internally as well as use a works cited or reference page. You may not use direct quotes.
- Include the following front matter: a letter of transmittal, a title page, a table of contents, a list of illustrations, an executive summary in the report.
- Include the following back matter: a reference/works cited page (using APA format), a glossary of terms (if needed).
- Research and cite all reference materials used to prepare your proposal/report and presentation.
adapted from James Glen Beggs, Ph.D.